Friday, November 23, 2007

200*

Well, we all survived the Giving of Thanks tolerably well. There were only a few bouts of tears and/or hysteria. I don't much enjoy holidays (I feel like I've discussed this one before, but I'm too lazy to link back to it), but this one wasn't terrible, as holidays go. I still felt fairly anxious/tense/irritable all day, but I think I did an okay job of keeping it under wraps.

The day didn't start off so well - when the whole family marched off to church, bright and early, I tried to persuade Husband to a different type of sacred rite. And I was rebuffed. Me! Denied! It's unconscionable, I tell you.

Maybe I'll Come To Jesus after all - I'll bet he never denied anyone salvation on account of being "too tired." Humph.

Then the children were, ahem, a bit fractious. But we kind of let them get away with whatever they wanted, and it seemed to placate them pretty well.**

I made stuffing, from scratch, without a recipe, and it turned out famously. Absolutely perfect.

The turkey wasn't cooked through all the way, but I didn't stress about it too much, because it wasn't my turkey. If that had happened at my house, I would have been hiding in a closet.*** Since it was my MIL's turkey, I didn't much mind. In fact, it gave me a great idea for next year's Thanksgiving celebration. By then, I'll be in a house of my own (or dead, one), and I'm going to host Thanksgiving there. I'm going to have an entire buffet of nothing but everyone's favorite side dishes. Every single side dish you could ever imagine, and not a drop of turkey to be found. The sides are the best part of the meal anyway, IMO. I can't wait.

So now I'm watching Irving Berlin's White Christmas and loving it. Not a bad holiday at all.


*This title has nothing to do with this post, except that 200 seems like kind of a milestone or something. Whatever.
**Gee, I wonder why that is.
***Such a thing would never happen at my house, though.

No comments: