Thursday, November 01, 2007

On the road. Again.



So, hey, it's November already. I'm going to try that whole posting everyday thing again. Last year I didn't manage so well. This year I'm doing much better, thank you very much. I may or may not be talking about Teh Crazy this month. It's my anniversary, after all. A whole year since the worst week of my life. Things are better in some ways, not as good in others. Life is like that.

But now we've moved, and I have a new job, and boy, is it far away from where we're *temporarily* staying until our old house sells and we can make a more permanent move. I drive an hour and a half to work each way, morning and evening. It's a really pretty drive, though, and I don't really mind it except for when I'm super-tired. In fact, most days I wish I had a camera with me in the car, because I see some awesome stuff.

So my goal this year for NaBloPoMo is to post a picture a day from my commute, and some sort of little blurb about the picture or the commute or the day or... whatever.

I would give a gold star to the person who could identify where I'm at just from looking at this picture. In fact, that right there is Lake Michigan, which is pretty much my constant commuting companion. I follow it from home to work and back home, skirting the shoreline from south to north and back again, every day. I love the water - it's never the same from one minute to the next. It's constantly changing - it reflects its moods just like a person. Some days the wind whips it into a fury; some days it's so flat you can see a reflection on it. Its colors change from moment to moment - sometimes I like to think up Crayola names for the colors of the water, like olive drab, peacock blue, silver lining, etc. Whatever. I like water.

Anyway, this picture is just off of Lake Shore Drive, right around Fullerton (nobody cares about that unless you're actually from Chicago, but just in case...). If I had turned around 180 degrees I could have shot the cars flying past and the high-rise condos in the background. I like this shot better. It's so peaceful - how many people can really say that they found inner peace during their morning commute?

1 comment:

Julie said...

That IS pretty -- I always feel that way about Lake Superior. Obviously, the "greats" have something going for them that the other 10,000 lakes around here don't have....