Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Highlights

Well, the Mouse is a week old today. In that time, she has:

*had 7 separate heel sticks to test her bilirubin levels
*spent 4 days under high-intensity phototherapy lights
*eaten about every three hours, give or take, for an average of 30 minutes per feeding
*had 42 poopy diapers
*been poked and prodded and kissed an infinite number of times by the Bear (note to Bear: eye poking *bad*)
*had 3 baths (the most recent about an hour ago after an explosive diaper - now to change my sheets and apply stain remover to her jammies)
*choked (once) because I neglected to take the edge off the... well, fire hose before I nursed her. Milk is here with a vengeance. I could pressure wash my house with this supply, but only if I wanted it to be really sticky, I suppose. Hopefully it will regulate soon!

In the meantime, I have:

*cooked dinner (complete with main course, salad, and sides) while nursing the entire time (note to self: must dig out sling from pile of crap upstairs)
*gotten 5 consecutive hours of sleep on more than one occasion (I think)
*become anemic from all the blood loss at her delivery (there was a *lot* of blood lost) and consequently very lethargic. Iron = good!
*managed to feed both children and myself at the same time
*soiled 3 shirts and a set of sheets with leaking milk. Yesterday's shirt had a 4" wet spot on the front that I didn't notice until the Bear patted it and said, "Mommy milk." Oops.
*cried on no less than 10 separate occasions - a card from my midwife, a call from the pediatrician, random moments on the couch...

Still, we're all rubbing along tolerably well. Let's see if it lasts!

3 comments:

Julie said...

Maybe I'm reading too much into your writing, but it sounds like you feel better than you did a few weeks ago! I hope that's true.

I also hope you all get a chance to rest and recover -- it sounds like you need it!

Has your kidney stone problem been taken care of, too, or do you still have that to look forward to?

Jane said...

Oh, I still have at least one round of the thing where they break it up with sound waves (lithotripsy? sp?) if not two rounds. The damn thing is a full inch in diameter now.

However, the amount of pressure on my kidney that was relieved by having the baby is a beautiful thing. I didn't realize how badly it hurt until she came out and it quit hurting!

And yeah, I am feeling better. A touch of the blues some days, perhaps, but much better overall.

Julie said...

An INCH!? I think my kidneys just shriveled up in fear. You're a hero.