Saturday, May 31, 2008

Fuck you two

May I just share how tired I am of two? I have had a two-year old for almost two years now. The first one passed fairly easily. This one? Is trying to kill me.

She refuses to listen. She is openly defiant. She knows the things she is not supposed to do, and she does them anyway. She sneaks out of bed, ostensibly to go potty, and uses up half a bottle of soap, on purpose. Twice. She puts things in her mouth that she knows she's not supposed to, things that are not food, things that could choke and/or kill her. She knows she's not supposed to put non-food items in her mouth*, and yet she does it anyway, and mocks me with this "so what are you going to do about it, lady?" attitude.

I am so sick and tired of this. The Bear is almost four, and she's much more reasonable, easier to handle (usually), and when I have only her to deal with, I can manage. When I have both, I find it so much more difficult, and I think it all traces back to Tank. Seriously. I get that all children are different, but this one is a serious trial to me. It's gotten to the point where I don't enjoy being with her all the time because she just refuses to listen. At all. Ever. It's a damn lucky thing for her that she's ridiculously adorable. If she wasn't so sweet, I probably would have sold her to gypsies long ago.


*Her track record so far? Cigarette butts, trash, ant poison, a dead toad, rocks, more rocks, cat food, bottle caps...

3 comments:

AmyRobynne said...

Age 2 with Peter was so, so hard. I didn't enjoy being around him for most of that year. He did not adjust well to being a big brother until Leo was someone to play with. Leo is more stubborn than Peter was, but I can handle it when a newborn isn't getting the brunt of the misbehavior.

Anonymous said...

That was my Elle. It gets better, I promise. But yeah, she AGED me. (And sometimes still does)

Anonymous said...

My FIVE year old does the same thing with the soap, getting all involved with "cleaning" the sink (even when it actually IS clean). Luckily she does not put as many things in her mouth that she shouldn't, but the other day we were at a restaurant and she was doing her typical act of not being able to stay in her seat and was exploring under the table. When she returned tableside, she announced, "There's this red gum down there that's like holding the table together--and it tastes like mint!" Of course, she claims that she just smelled it to figure that out, but I have my doubts. . .