Wednesday, May 11, 2005

The one with the survey...

Okay, Internet - I need your help.

If you are one of the people who stop by here, please take a second to give your input on this tough question.

So, yesterday, a student made a rude comment to me. I'm talking, beyond the bounds of public decency rude. He is, needless to say, barred from my class for the rest of the school year. He also received some in-school disciplinary action.

School is almost out. I am moving to a new district next year and will not be returning. We've almost reached the point of just plain not caring (which is awful, I know, but most days I'm doing good just to keep them in their seats).

The question is this: Must I call his parents? I mean, really. Do I *have* to?

Ordinarily, I would have been on the phone within minutes, requesting a meeting with both student and parents. However, in this case, it Just Doesn't Seem Worth It.

My reasoning is as follows: a) he's in just as much trouble in all his other classes; b) I've spoken to them multiple times, with no perceptible results; c) I'm not really sure anymore what good it would accomplish. (Also, d) repeating what he said would only cause more unpleasantness.)

So - to call or not to call? If you're browsing and you have a thought on this, I'd love your feedback.

UPDATE: Thanks to the few of you who did offer advice on this front. I appreciate that so much. After careful consideration and conversations, I've decided to forego the phone call. I am convinced, as is my principal, that it will do no good. If I was returning to this school district next year, that would be a different story, because you don't want to set that kind of precedent. However, I feel safe in saying that nobody will give a crap one way or the other. That's terribly sad, and, like I said before, I think it all comes back to bad parenting. But as a *bad* parent myself, hey, what do I know? Anyway, thanks for the input!

No comments: